1820: A table of regulations is issued for Cango
Caves – the first attempt to protect the caves.
Lord Charles Somerset became the first British
Governor to visit the caves.
1888: Swartberg Pass opened – people could reach the
CC faster – 48 hours from leaving Cape Town.
1891: Mr. H. van der Veen, then owner of Combuys, was
appointed supervisor of the caves. The first full-time
guide, Johnnie van Wassenaar, was appointed.
1890: The gate at the entrance is installed.
1902: Arrival of railway at Oudtshoorn – more people
1921: Oudtshoorn Municipality becomes the administrator
of the Cango Caves.
1921: H.W.J. van der Veen was appointed Caretaker and
1926: Full-time guides are appointed.
The electrification scheme is switched on. Before that,
candles, flaming torches and magnesium ribbons were used.
1930: A sum of £600 was donated and small wooden building
was erected at the entrance to serve as a tearoom.
1938: Cango Caves is proclaimed a Historical Monument.
1964: Cutting of the artificial entrance.
1967: A new building complex was constructed at the entrance.
1975: Cango 3 is discovered.
1997-1998: The new Cango Caves Complex is built.
1999: The Cango Caves is Interpretive Centre is opened.